Thursday, July 7, 2016

Counting Quail

Design - "June"
Pamphlet - "Yearbook May and June" 
Designer - Lizzie Kate
Fabric - 28 count Light Mocha Cashel
Fibers - WDW & GAST & DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 25 June 2016
Completed - 30 June 2016

I changed the color of the smaller mushroom - it was a bright blue and that just did not work for me.

I haven't had any 'unusual' birds lately. Just the 'regulars'

A young American Robin

Two female Anna's Hummingbirds

Willow Flycatcher

On Monday evening the backyard was full of California Quail.
There were four childless couples - 8 birds
A couple with 32 - yes 32 chicks
A widower (male) with 28 chicks

68 quail - that's a lot of quail! 

I do like the chicks at this stage.
They are such sweet little things.

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Love the stitching! And the quail! How do they manage such big families?

Amy said...

I feel like the 4 childless couples are that way on purpose.

"Marge and Allen just hatched 32 chicks. THIRTY-TWO, Ronald."
"Oh he** no, Barb. We are not doing that."
"Seriously, I need a cocktail just thinking about it."

They are so cute, though. When I was in Arizona last year, I spotted a tiiiiiny baby quail on a friend's property. Different type of quail though. This baby looked literally like a mini-me of its parent, right down to the eensy black topknot. It was so adorable I could hardly stand it!

Carol said...

Your "regular" birds would be unusual ones for me, Beth!! I would love to see some quail around here :)

Love your little finish and I'm totally with you on the blue mushroom change!

Barb said...

Just the regulars are quite amazing to see. What a cute June piece!

Justine said...

I will have to get these LK monthly designs. Yours is so cute! I would have to change the mushroom too.

Maggee said...

32???? Oh wow! Well, 28 is a lot too... They certainly are prolific. Some stitching projects call for bright colors... but I am with you on this change... was needed. Hugs!

Anna van Schurman said...

Your monthlies are making me reconsider. (A long while ago, I stitched up a whole monthly series...that is still sitting in the FUFO pile.)