Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Woodpecker Watch Wednesday

I've stitched just enough on "Chester" that you can tell it is going to be a cat.  This is slow-going - the tiger cat requires lots of color changes as does the border.  I am working in silks which I do enjoy.

The Woodpecker Watch past week has been without equal! I downloaded all the photos to post and decided that there were so many I should split them into two posts.  So without further ado... 

I'll begin with the Hairy Woodpeckers.  I have two females...

...and two males.  They like both the front and back feeders and use the bird baths in the front and back.

I've seen as many as three Red-breasted Sapsuckers at one time.

They tend to squabble when they are together which makes finding them in the trees pretty straight forward.

This one came in close enough and the light was good enough to show off the bird's striking red head and breast.

The Acorn Woodpeckers are now hard at work storing acorns in the granary tree. I also see the Jays checking out the granary tree - I think they are stealing acorns from the woodpeckers cache.

And look at this father and son duo!
Dad on the left, son on the right with the fluffy breast feathers and the wacky hair-do.

Another difference is the eye color - juvenile Acorns have light eyes that darken with age.

And I cannot forget the Red-shafted Northern Flickers.
Up in trees...

...and down on the ground.

I do have more woodpeckers to share - stay tuned for tomorrow's post with a new woodpecker!

5 comments:

Kate said...

Your stitching is coming along nicely. Lovely pictures; the sapsuckers have such vivid colors!

Maggee said...

I cannot wait!! Good progress on Tom-Cat's piece!

Le trame della Galaverna said...

Beautiful pictures
Lovely stitch

Wanda said...

Beth, what amazing pictures! I am so in love with woodpeckers and just drool, always, over all of them. Thanks so much!

Barb said...

Wonderful woodpecker photos. I love that red-breasted woodpecker! Just beautiful!