Wednesday, September 9, 2015

An Extremely Old Stitch and A September Walk

As you know my Mom usually is working on a cross stitch project or two, while I have up to six stitches in rotation. But back in the day, my sister also used to dabble in cross stitch.  She started The Cricket Collection's "Alphabet" in the early 1990's, and has not touched it since.  I wonder if she will ever pick it up again, or if I should offer to finish it for her.    

The weather has moderated so let's take a walk. 

Our poor old apple tree has about six apples high out of reach of the deer.

We can't keep up with the ripe blackberries...

...but we have help!

There are signs of autumn with the turning of leaves...

...and the ripening of acorns.

Our poor wild bitter cherry has not liked this hot dry summer. Its leaves droop limp and disheartened.  They too are turning yellow. 

I looked for frogs, but cold not find any.

The layers of our forest. Sword ferns on the forest floor, Vine Maple in the under story, and Douglas Fir soaring overhead.

Baneberry berries.

The berries of False Solomon's Seal.

It was so nice to have a bit of rain as August ended, I had to photograph that too! 

Droplets on the grass.

On the candles of the pine.

Rain frosting the Douglas fir trees.

Up close.

And while it caused some of the blackberries to mold, it was worth it!

I haven't seen raindrops since mid-June.

It truly was a sight for sore eyes.

7 comments:

Vickie said...

We had such downpourings yesterday. Glad you got some rain. I could help with the blackberries too. ;)

Pam in IL said...

The rain frosted firs look so pretty, but wintery to me. I hope you will get more rain. We had heavy rain here yesterday, but it only amounted to about 1/2 an inch. We've not had measurable rain since Aug 14.

MaryO said...

Such a lovely blog and beautiful pictures. Cats, gardens, birds, butterflies and cross stitch - my favorite things! Loved it!

MaryO
San Pedro, CA

Chris said...

Gorgeous pics.
The Cricket alphabet was my first big project, back when I stitched one project only until it was finished.
I love this design still. You should finish it!

Barb said...

I totally agree, seeing any rain right now is wonderful!! Your sister's design is very pretty. I think I just might finish it up.

laceystitcher said...

I am so glad that you finally received some rain! I am sure it was badly needed. I love seeing the various blooming plants and ferns. I live in Kansas and we have a lot of heat, hot winds, and insects that make the summer not always as pretty as others, so it was nice to see your pics. Thanks for sharing.

Frances said...

I love the beautiful photos--especially the sweet deer helping himself to the blackberries!
We're jealous of your wonderful rain!!!!
I have that cross stitch chart! I never stitched it, though! I thought at one time I would stitch it for my son's room--when he was young. But he's going to be 29 soon, so I guess I missed the boat on that one!!! haha