Sunday, September 27, 2015

Goodbye Rufous

Sadly, the Rufous Hummingbirds have left for the year. 

This series of photos has taken on the 18th, and I've not seen a Rufous since.

The last bird was a juvenile male.

He has already learned the basics of guarding his territory.

And flashing his jeweled head and throat.

There are still several Anna's - four or five I would guess.

And some of them will stay all winter long.

So I'll leave up and maintain the feeders.

There are several females, and this one male.

It's all about defending one's territory.

And flashing feathers!

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm glad you have the Annas year round at least. I love seeing the hummingbirds.

Jennifer said...

The birds are "shifting" around here too. The Hummingbirds, Orioles and Goldfinches are being replaced by Blue Jays, Crows and a few newcomers. Saw my first Cedar Waxwing in our yard the other day, and a Yellow Warbler too!