Sunday, September 6, 2015

All Anna's...Almost

I saw my last Rufous Hummingbird sometime during the past week.  The feisty Rufous females and juveniles left for their journey south and ceded their summer territory and nectar sources back to the Anna's.   

So glad the Anna's stay here.

My male Anna is one handsome bird!

He was busy guarding the west end flowerbed.

There's several penstemon and lobelia there and he was not sharing. 


Fortunately I do have other plants circling the house. 

Salvia "Amistad" has proven to be a real favorite. 

Yum!

We quite like it! 

The Anna's also watch over feeders from close by...

...and further away.

They use the hammock as a perch as it close to the Salvia "Amistad" and the Mudroom Flowerbed. 

Salvia "La Trinidad" has been a hummingbird favorite since late May.

I enjoy watching the aerial acrobatic.  

I cannot imagine eating while my wings beat 40-50 times a second!

Perfectly coordinated.  My throat matches the flowers!

I spoke too soon.  
There is a Rufous Hummingbirdstill in the area.  Maybe it is just passing through, but I will enjoy seeing the cinnamon colored birds while I can. 

5 comments:

Barb said...

Wonderful pictures! We never really had a Rufous this year. I missed their pretty colors.

Margaret said...

It's interesting that the Rufous migrate south but the Ana hummers stay around. I still remember watching the hummingbirds enjoying the flowers outside my grandmother's window years ago when I was a kid. I think that was when I fell in love with them.

eileeninmd said...

Wow, gorgeous collection of hummers and photos. I would like to see the Anna's. Have a happy week!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Stunning shots of the Hummingbirds.

A Colorful World said...

I love that the hummers feed from your salvias, which are beautiful flowers, by the way! Wish I had more flowers and flowering plants to help them out but I honestly have so many issues with growing things here in the desert! Our neighbor has a trumpet flower bush that stands tall over the wall between our yards and I often see the hummers there, but in my yard it's mostly the nectar feeders that keeps them happy. Your photos of the hummingbirds are just beautiful!