Friday, September 11, 2015

Bunnies and Cats and Weekly Woodpeckers

I finally started working on "Noah's Country Ark" by Blue Whale designs.  It was supposed to be an August stitch, but got shuffled off to September.  The fabric is a blue gray, for some reason the colors are not true in the photo.


It's time for the Weekly Woodpecker Update.

Two males and one female Hairy Woodpecker.

A Red-breasted Sapsucker.

A male Acorn Woodpecker.

Several Red-shafted Flickers.

Suet is the food of choice.

And now, The Further Adventures of the Pileated Family.

I spied a male Pileated early one morning last week.

The light was pretty good, so the red mustache is apparent. 

And the head is bright red.

I think the birds have worked on this part of the tree with such industry that it is going to snap off soon.

See, it's pretty thin.

Not that it appears to worry the bird.

I was intrigued the other day to see a small hawk harassing a Pileated the other day, until it finally drove off the woodpecker. I think t must have been a young Pileated.

After all they are the King of the Forest!

The birds have been by several days, alone...

...or two at time (second bird is low on the tree trunk). 

My favorite is still the juvenile bird.

Something about the Mohawk-style head feathers gets to me.

Mama Bird was on the same tree. 

Showing the youngster how it is done.

4 comments:

Carol said...

So many wonderful woodpecker shots, Beth! Love the red mustache on the one kind :)

Enjoy your latest ark stitching and have an enjoyable weekend...

Barb said...

What a great collection of woodpecker photos! I can imagine the color, I often have trouble getting the correct color of the linen.

Le trame della Galaverna said...

Wow beautiful pictures

Maggee said...

Lovely group of woodpeckers visiting you! Only Downy's here at my house. And I saw a Downy at one of the Natural Areas when I was bird watching the other day. First time I have really seen the underside...