Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Day Got Away From Me

Design - "A Little Luck" (kit)
Designer - Lizzie Kate
Fabric - 32 count raw linen
Fibers - WDW & DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 3 March 2018
Completed - 10 March 2018

Stiff raw linen is not my favorite for stitching and I struggled a bit with this. When all is said and done, I do like it, so guess it was worth a bit of humility to work on.

It's still Tuesday, but the evening is fast approaching.  The day got away from me and so this post is later than usual.  Still, I think we have time for a Woodpecker Review - we haven't had one for quite a while. 

Starting off - I've heard a Pileated Woodpecker a couple of times, but have not seen one recently.  My neighbor has an active Red-breasted Sapsucker that she can watch out her kitchen window.  I took a walk a couple of days ago I saw a Sapsucker as it flew overhead. 

After very erratic forays to the feeders, a male Hairy Woodpecker is now showing up daily. 

I'm glad to have him  back.


Today I've had a Cooper's Hawk perched atop the Acorn Woodpecker's favorite tree.

This has annoyed the Acorn Woodpeckers and they've taken refuge on a nearby tree and are nosily if ineffectively scolding the hawk.  Can you see all three birds?

Here they are again with a Starling. I am always glad to see all three of the birds and know that I have a healthy colony.

This photo was from a couple of days ago.

This was obviously a hawk-free day at the feeders. 
This is the female I think.

The bill is quite dexterous as the bird works to snag a peanut. 

I still think my nickname - Clown Bird - suits them.

I am seeing and hearing Northern Flickers everywhere now. Up to three birds at a time as they've begun courting.  Here's a female.

And here's a male.  
That's my report for today.  

10 comments:

Barb said...

That is a cute design, worth the trouble I would think! I always love seeing the woodpeckers!

Robin in Virginia said...

Congratulations on the Luck finish, Beth! I hope the Cooper's Hawk has abandoned his post so the Acorn woodpeckers are happy.

MaryO said...

Beautiful report + bird pics + beautiful stitch 😊
MaryO1230

Mary said...

The clown bird nickname certainly fits!! Love your stitch!! I have done one LK kit and I thought stitching on the stiff fabric made for easy stitching, I am wondering what you didn't like about it.

RJ said...

Beth your stitch is adorable. May the luck be with you! I'm with you on stiff linen. I don't care stitching on it either...the needle does not like to go through. Love your photos especially the woodpecker. RJ

Justine said...

I quite like the stiff linen for a small piece! It looks lovely and was worth all your efforts. Nice to see so many birds in your garden.

Vickie said...

A Little Luck is darling!

Ida said...

What a great bunch of Woodpeckers you have. They are cool birds.

Carol said...

What a darling finish--think I may have to add this to my stash soon :)

Maggee said...

That is a really cute finish! Worth the annoyance from the fabric! I did LHN Sheep Virtues set of 12 on raw natural!! THAT was interesting! But the results are fantastic, and worth it! Love all the woodpeckers. I am seeing three Red-bellied Woodpeckers now... Male, Female and juvenile Male! We saw a Northern Flicker on our last outing, earlier this month... but no picture. Thanks for sharing! Hugs!