Saturday, March 24, 2018

Chippers and Squirrels

Friday dawned cold with snow at elevations of 1000 feet and higher.  We had some snow flurries throughout the day, though nothing stuck.  But more was expected Friday night / Saturday morning. Could be interesting weather today.

I don't think a little snow will stop the chipmunks.

They are great at vacuuming up the seeds the Towhees knock to the ground.

Look at the second chipmunk on the upper right corner - he is flying!

Two chippies - this is about as close as they can get to one another without a scuffle.

Mr. Gray Squirrel. He likes to dash along the edge of the patio to access the seed beneath my bird feeders. 

He's very vigilant - looking out for cats and hawks.  

7 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

What a handsome crew of chippys and squirrel! Enjoy your Saturday!

deb said...

Great pictures of the chippies - love the little guy in mid air! Ohmigoodness - I'm sure it's just your excellent photography, but Mr Gray Squirrel looks absolutely humongous!

pandy said...

we had a towhee today come and sit in the middle of the seed bowl and toss seeds all over the place haha. thankfully the Juncos like to eat off the ground too! what a bird!

RJ said...

The squirrels and chipmunks look ready for mischief! Squirrels get in our attic all the time and give us trouble. But they are cute little guys all the same.

I spent hours last night reading on your wonderful vacation to Europe. I need to go back and read more slowly. It was an incredible and lovely three month journey. I wish I could have hidden in one of your Mom's five suitcases and gone too. RJ

CathieJ said...

Thanks for the adorable wildlife pictures. We don't have many chipmunks around my neighborhood, but we do have squirrels and bunnies. I really like watching chipmunks.

Maggee said...

Great pictures of the critters! The squirrels here do clean up under the feeders. What they reject, seems the Sparrows and the occasional Juncos get! So I am pleased!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...


squirrels!!!! I have a love hate relationship with them. I love stitching them into needlework. They eat us out of house and home when I try to feed the birds! They are territorial and destructive to wooden porch furniture.