Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Nest Building

Design - "Nest"
Designer - Ewe & Eye & Friends
Fabric - 30 count Pearled Barley linen
Fibers - Anchor - 1 strand over 2 threads
Started - 7 August 2011
Completed - 14 August 2011

Eyelets, Rhodes, and straight stitches all contribute to the "texture" of the nest. I think it is a fitting tribute to all the many avian mothers and fathers I will watch this Spring and Summer.   

Speaking of which...

My sister groomed Parvati last night and ended up with a large wad of hair on the brush. 

As she has not had any flea medication for several months, I tore up the hair until 12-15 small pieces and set it in the grass in the backyard. 

As you can see from these blurry photos, the Violet-green Swallows swooped low and within 10 minutes had grabbed up all the hair. 

We had a small breeze, I ended up tossing a couple of pieces in the air and they snagged it from me - kinda' exciting!

I love the irony of birds using cat hair in their nests.

Just never offer hair if you are using tick and or flea medication.

A Black-capped Chickadee thought our cocoa fiber mat had good nesting material.

She pulled out some cocoa fiber and cat hair.

See?

She ended up with a nice amount of nesting material.

2 comments:

cucki said...

Aww so pretty x

Barb said...

Such fun watching them build nests!