Monday, May 15, 2017

Feeding Finches


Design - Birds
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 32 count Summer Khaki linen
Started - 11 May 2010
Completed - 12 May 2010


I'm pretty Avian Oriented!

Finches are omnipresent as spring moves toward summer. 

I have Purple Finches...

Lesser Goldfinches...

And American Goldfinches.

Here's how to attract finches, and other birds. 

Even if you do not feed birds, a water feature can attract birds like this mix of a female Purple Finch and American Goldfinches.

I have two feeders which I fill with sunflower hearts (shelled sunflower seeds).  It is expensive - around $35 for 20lbs, but the finches love them.  The feeder on the right is my newest one - the bottom pops of easily and soap and water and a long bottle brush keeps it clean.

I also have one feeder that I fill with nyjer - a thistle-like seed.  The Lessers and American Goldfinches love nyjer - 5-10lbs of seed will last me all spring / summer / and into early fall.  I recommend this wire feeder as the birds can perch everywhere on it, and it is super easy to clean.

Finally, the finches will eat black-oil sunflower seeds as will many, many other types of birds. This set up shows the goldfinches at the nyjer, the unshelled sunflower seeds, and the shelled sunflower seed feeders. Black oil sunflower seeds run about $20.00 for 40lbs at our local feed and seed store. 

Just for run this year, I bought a ball of nesting material and it has been a hit. It's another way to attract birds.  You can use cat or dog hair, if and only if you do NOT apply tick or flea medication to the animal.

Birds like something to perch on.

They also appreciate having the feeders or water sited close to brush or large shrubs for instant shelter from predators. 

I've had oodles of American Goldfinches.

I counted over fifty the other evening.

The bright yellow finch finials brighten up the darker shades of green.

9 comments:

deb said...

What a sweet design, and just right for you!

Watching the birds take the nesting material must make you smile. You can really put out cat hair? You mean instead of swearing at the tumbleweeds Lakota blesses us with, I could just gather them up and hang 'em on a bush? May have to try that! :)

MaryO said...

Wow. Just....wow.
MaryO1230

krayolakris said...

Stunning photos! I've had up to 50 or so goldfinches while they fueled up for their flight from here in the South, but it's been over 10 years. This year I was happy to have around 10. In addition to fur, dryer lint makes good nesting material as I'm sure you know (especially if you've just dried cat blankets LOL)! Thanks for sharing!

Kristen said...

Lovely little birds. Thanks for sharing your photos and your tips.

Barb said...

You are inspiring me to put out a feeder for the finches. At least the squirrels can't get into those tiny holes.

Vickie said...

We have one nyjer feeder that always gets finches. I just love little finches. :D Your pictures are awesome!

Pam in IL said...

How fun to see all the finches! We have many, many finches here too :)

Carol said...

What a sight it must be to see all of those colorful goldfinches at once! Wow!! I need to get a wire feeder--think that might help a lot :) Thanks for all of your helpful information, Beth!

Maggee said...

What a GREAT post Beth! Very informative! So nice that you shared all your tips, prices, etc... One of these days, I will spend time washing all the empty, idle feeders in the shed, just in case I meet someone in need of one! Hugs!