Sunday, October 17, 2010

Saturday Food and Fun

I've decided to stitch "October Quaker" by the Workbasket (top row - middle).
The design uses acorns as the motif - I've stitched several designs with acorn and/or oak trees over the years.

Our oak trees have begun to drop their leaves and while there are lots, and lots, and lots of oak galls (formed by a wasp), I've not seen even one acorn - if that's the case it's going to be a tough winter for the squirrels. 

When I was a child, we called these galls "pop balls" - after they fall they get dry and brittle and make a very satisfying "popping" sound when you stomp on them...which we did on a regular basis.


No home football game Saturday, so my sister and I visited the Lane County Farmers' Market.

I had a late breakfast at Field to Table.  Gosh I love that place!  It is so cool how they are able to source everything locally - most items from the market itself, and have a great tasting varied menu. I think it took me 15 minutes to decide what to eat...Roast Pork Belly, Egg & Cheese won out - it was delicious!  

This young accordion player provided the most interesting entertainment in the Market...she was kind of a Goth Maurice Chevalier!  Very Eugene, Oregon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am not sure I have ever seen those galls, or if I have, I didn't know what I was seeing. Very interesting.

I gotta ask, what is belly, as in belly, egg and cheese??