Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Eggs, a Chick, and Birds

The egg and chick in the header refers to my stitching progress on this Easter stitch.  I brought it back out and am working on it again, hoping to finish it up in a week or so.

The birds are some of my 'regulars' this past week.  Let's take alook.

A female Lesser Goldfinch.

An American Goldfinch couple.

Male Hairy Woodpecker and American Goldfinches.
I love it when I have an assortment of birds at the feeders.

Male Purple Finch and female Evening Grosbeak.

Most birds cannot swallow water...

...without tipping back their heads.
Pigeons and Jays can, but literally everyone else avian can't. 

Male Evening Grosbeak. I may not have cardinals, but I do have this bright yellow bird. 

Male Black-headed Grosbeak. They are still singing away looking for mates and establishing territory.

Cedar Waxwing.

A group of three late in the evening.

Close-up

Two birds in better light.

They have such frowny faces!

I cannot watch a Black-capped Chickadee without feeling my spirits lifted.

Their calls and chatter and bright faces and 'busyness' are charming.

I think they've nested and are now active at the feeders once again.

"Chicka-dee-dee-dee!"

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Your bird photos are so wonderful!

Mary said...

I did not know that about the birds having to tip their heads back to drink water, that's very interesting. Have you had the chickadees eat out of you hand? I think it's so neat that they will do that.
You will have an adorable stitch for next Easter! Mary

MaryO said...

Fantastic bird pics! Thanks so much!

MaryO1230

Angie said...

Beth - as always, the bird pics are to die for. I read through some of your recent posts and was amazed by the capture of the female hummingbird with the cotton. Hope she is building a nest!

Barb said...

What a lovely collection of birds!!!

RJ said...

Fantastic photos of such lovely birds. Thanks Beth. RJ

Maggee said...

It brightens my days to see the variety of birds you get to see! In my next post, you will see an 'accidental' bird...it's a funny story! Hugs!