Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Tuesday Check In

I'm still cranking out popsicles!

As for the birds...
I feel as though I do not have nearly the number of American Goldfinches that I've had in past years.  That said, I do continue to see newly fledged birds.  

It is hard work being a parent!

Speaking of parenting...
I was a bit sad to see a female Western Tanager caring for her baby...

...because her baby is not a Tanager - its a Brown-headed Cowbird.
Cowbirds lay their eggs in the nests of other birds and rely on others to raise their young.

I do not having anything against Cowbirds per say, but I think it is a shame that the Tanager migrated her from southern Mexico / Central America only to raise a Cowbird.

The female Tanager was very cooperative.

I got several nice poses.

Including this one.

And this one.

On a happier note, here's a young White-crowned Sparrow.

5 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your popsicles are looking good. They will be needed around here this week as we are still hot. That young White-crowned Sparrow is a cutie. Lovely bird shots, Beth!

LaNelle said...

Your stitching is beautiful, brings a smile 😊 I haven’t had many Goldfinches either here in northern MN sad to say😔

Mary said...

I love your beautiful nature photos. Your wip is such a cute summer project.

Margaret said...

Love seeing the goldfinches -- they're so pretty! Bummer about the tanager. I don't know if I've heard of cowbirds. Definitely cuckoos -- isn't that the species? Nasty things to place their own eggs into another bird's nest. :( OK, maybe nasty is the wrong word. It's just nature, I guess. Love your popsicles!

Barb said...

It has been hot enough hear to enjoy popsicles!! My babies are still in the nest and the plant seems long gone!