Tuesday, August 20, 2019

August Stitch August Bird

Design - "August"
Chart - "123 August"
Designer - Curtis Boehringer
Fabric -32 count Antique White Jobelan
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 11 August 2015
Completed - 12 August 2016

I stitched this a couple of years ago and have since learned that the designer passed away.

Here's an August bird that pleases me.

My first sighting of a Pileated Woodpecker in months and months and months. 

I was in the back of the house and heard the bird calling.  I waited for it to call a second time, and when it did I walked around to the front of the house. 

After looking through binoculars, I found it!

The male Pileated Woodpecker was working the dead top of a Big Leaf Maple.  All the nice round holes are the work of my Acorn Woodpeckers.

You can see the Pileated prefers to make long rectangular holes.

Though the bird was off a ways, my binoculars and the zoom on my camera gave me some good looks.

I always forget what a big bird this woodpecker is. 

And the bill - serious business!

Here the bird is in a classic woodpecker pose.  Note how it is using its strong tail feathers as a counter-balance. 

And here's a close up.

Last photo is my favorite - the bird is calling out with its maniacal Woody Woodpecker laugh! 

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Love your August stitch with the watermelons! He had some really good designs. Oh Beth, I love the shots of the Pileated Woodpecker you managed to capture. Wow!

Margaret said...

I've seen pileated woodpeckers in our neighborhood, but I've never heard them calling. I'd love to! I've just heard them drilling away on a tree. Ah well. Great pictures!