Sunday, May 20, 2018

Sunday's Hummers

Blurry photos, but I was pleased to finally see a female Rufous Hummingbird.

They look very like Anna's, but have a bit of brown on their stomachs and sides. 

I figured with the male Rufous hanging around there had to be some females. 

The male Rufous battles with the male Anna's.

The Anna's is bigger, but the Rufous is more fierce.

The female Anna's continue to pick at nesting material.

I watch as they fly away, but they go so fast and so far it is impossible to figure out where they might be nesting.

It's fun to be able to watch this part of the process.

I figure by mid-June I should be awash in hummingbirds as the incubation period is 16 days, and the babies fledge 20 days after that!

5 comments:

Margaret said...

That's so exciting! I hope you see the babies!

Robin in Virginia said...

Super photos! I hope you end up with a new flock of hummers. We keep looking for possible nesting spots, but haven't seen any.

Sarah Beth’s Stitching said...

Awesome pics of these little guys. I so much love your blog. I even got my sister hooked to it������

Barb said...

Nothing like the color of the male Rufous!!!

Meg said...

Very excited for baby hummingbirds! I so rarely see a hummingbird that I’m in awe of your blog and photos. Saw a special on PBS about hummingbirds about a year ago. Fascinating creatures. Have a lovely week!