Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Blooms to the Left and to the Right - Everywhere Really!

As May comes to a close, the entire world seems to be in bloom.
Let's take a walk and admire all the color.

We'll start off with a pop of orange - the Western-trumpet Honeysuckle (Lonicera ciliosa).

Nootka Rose (Rosa Nutkana)

A wild pea of some sort.

This perennial Bachelor Button (Centaurea Montana) is a cultivated variety that has 'escaped' the captivity of a flowerbed.

Large False Solomon's Seal (Maianthemum racemosum)




Meadow Checker-mallow (Sidalcea campestris)

Oregon Checker-mallow (Sidalcea oregana)

Red Columbine (Aquilegia formosa)

Large-leafed Avens (Geum macrophyllum

We have two kinds of lupine - this is the earliest bloomer of the two.

A bright patch of Creeping Buttercup (Ranunculus repens).  It loves damp places and is in a seep.

I've never been able to figure out what this forget-me-not type of flower is.

Inside Out Flower (Vancouveria hexandra )

Common Camas (Cammassia quamash)

Red Osier Dogwood (Cornus sericea)

Tolmie's Mariposa Lily (Calochortus tolmiei )
One of my favorite wildflowers - my family has always called this fuzzy flowers Cat's Ears.

Oregon Tea Tree or Redstem Ceanothus (Ceanothus sanguineus

Common Chokecherry (Prunus virginiana)

And not to be forgotten - blackberries in bloom.
I hope you enjoyed this week's walk.

4 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh yes, I sure did enjoy the walk Beth. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing my friend. :)

Robin in Virginia said...

What beautiful blooms, Beth! I am still seeing Buttercups in the fields on the way to town and noticed the Mountain Laurel is blooming.

Barb said...

I think the Cat's Ears and the Nootka Rose are my favorites. We have roses blooming all over too. It is a wonderful time of year.

Meg said...

Thank you for the walk, Beth! The “cats ears” are very cool. One thing I love about Oregon is the abundance of blooms and growth you enjoy. Our part of Idaho is high-mountain desert, so very different. I am impressed that you know the names of everything!