Thursday, February 9, 2017

Special Guests

Design - "February Monthly Marking"
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 32 count natural Belfast linen
Fibers - GAST & WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 20 February 2013
Completed - 21 February 2013

Each year stitching, gardening, birding is a bit different for all the past years.
This year I've enjoyed the company of a pair of Ravens.

The two are always together so I figure they must be a mated pair. 

There's no mistaking them for a crow when seen up close.
The shaggy 'beard' is a dead give-away as is the tip at the end of the beak. 

When I was out walking on Tuesday, I came across a group of Golden-crowned Kinglets.  They very tiny birds that flit about the trees working the bark and moss for insects. See the bit of yellow? 

As you can see, they are challenging to photograph.

A blur of movment.

A back shot.

But finally, I managed a couple of decent shots.
You can see why they are named golden-crowned for the bright yellow strip atop their head.

They are year around residents in the Pacific NW, but I only see them in the winter.

Here's someone I see all year long - an American Robin.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Love seeing the different birds. Are ravens larger than crows?? Anyway, I always wonder why American robins are so different from English ones.....

Maggee said...

I love the action pictures tho!! Just shows how hard you had to work to get your good pictures! I recently got a picture of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet... Gotta make a blog post soon! Hugs!

MaryO said...

WONDERFUL! I love ravens (and all the other birds you photograph). Makes my day!

MaryO1230
San Pedro, CA

Barb said...

Ravens are such special birds. Beth, have you read any of Jane Fitzpatrick's books? I just finished The Road We Traveled. It is a historical fiction but very well researched. it is the story of the woman who is called, the Mother of Oregon. I loved the book and think that anyone who lives in and loves Oregon would really enjoy the book.