Friday, February 3, 2017

Bird Stitching and Bird Watching

Design - "Valentine Bird"
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 32 count Summer Khaki linen
Fibers - GAST & WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 2 April 2004
Completed - 4 April 2004

It's time to take a look at the woodpeckers.  They approve of my featured stitch!

Here's the female Hairy Woodpecker.

She's been pretty active lately.

Notice her pale yellow tail feathers?

Only one photo of the male Hairy to share this week.

My male Acorn Woodpecker.

"Success", he says.

And here's the female.  She has a strip of black before the red atop her head, while the male goes straight from white to red.

She's more skittish than the male.

But like all woodpeckers, she uses her strong tail feathers as a prop to balance.

A female Northern Flicker.

And here's a male Flicker.

Love that bright red mustache.

I wish I had photos of a Downy, Sapsucker, or Pileated to share, but of late they've been AWOL. 

7 comments:

Paisley said...

Love all your feathered friends!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Those spotted flicker feathers are just a delight to see.

Cathy said...

Enjoying your amazing photos as always!
Cathy

Maggee said...

I enjoy seeing your woodpeckers so much! Haven't seen a Flicker since that one day after the blizzard. Nor have I seen the Sapsucker... I have a pair of Downy's visit every day! And a pair of Yellow-rumped Warblers, Pine Warblers, Carolina Wrens, and American Goldfinches! Plus the usual flock of House Finches! The two Red-bellied Woodpeckers haven't come by since I had to take down the suet feeders this week, to get rid of the Starlings. I will put it back this weekend, and hopefully they will all come back. Hugs!

Karyn said...

Beautiful bird pics, Beth, and you got so close to them.
I love "Valentine Bird" and stitched it up myself, it's a keeper.
Have a great weekend and stay warm!
Hugs

Barb said...

A combination of birds and Valentines seems just right for you. Great woodpecker photos!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

The woodpeckers and flickers are smart to approve of your featured stitch -- I love that long-legged heart-bird..... Obviously the woodys approve of the dining facilities!