Friday, February 17, 2017

Counting on You and Me

Design - "February Glows"
Designer - Bent Creek 
Fabric - 32 count Country French Cafe Mocha linen
Fibers - GAST & WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 15 February 2011
Completed - 18 February 2011

GBBC_Social Media_r2_Page_1
The Great Backyard Bird Count begins today!

I am going to start counting this morning.  I'll report my observations next week. With the weird and sometimes extreme winter weather in different parts of the US, the count observations will be very important.  Remember it is a worldwide count, so no matter where you are, you can participate. 

Today we'll take a look at my woodpeckers.

Male Hairy Woodpecker

Female Hairy Woodpecker
They showed up at the feeders at the same time.

The Flickers have begun courting. The male is on the bottom. The two on the top are females.  I am hearing 'hammering' on the roof, another sign of spring's arrival.

Look at how complex the tail feather pattern is.

This is a young bird - probably a summer 2016 hatch.

I cannot explain why I think it is a young bird, it just 'looks' that way to me. 

The other morning both Acorn Woodpeckers were atop a tall Douglas fir tree.
This is the female.

And here's the male.

The Acorns like peanuts, but also eat suet.

Look at those strong, stiff tail feathers helping to support the bird.

I've heard a Pileated Woodpecker off in the distance a couple of times, but have not seen one in a couple of months.  I'm hoping that I do for the bird count and that a Sapsucker comes my way.

5 comments:

Maggee said...

Love seeing the woodpeckers!

Shirley Hill said...

Oh my Lord, I would love to live somewhere with that many birds.

Christina said...

We did the bird count a few weeks ago. We spotted blackbirds, sparrows, a robin, long-tailed tits, blue tits, goldfinches, pigeons, collared doves and a single crow! (We are in the UK).

Margaret said...

Always enjoy a woodpecker post! Hope the count goes well.

Babs said...

nice stitching and love those birds :)