Thursday, February 16, 2017

Let's All Join In!

Design - "2006 Collector's Heart"
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 32 count Summer Khaki Belfast linen
Fibers - GAST & WDW -2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 5 February 2011
Completed - 15 February 2011

GBBC_Social Media_r2_Page_2
Are you up for some fun this weekend? Sure you are!
This Friday through Monday (February 17th-February 20th) so can participate in a worldwide citizen science bird count. It's time for the Great Backyard Bird Count. All it takes is 15 minutes observing the birds in your backyard or local park. Click the link above and there's all kinds of information on how to get started - there are even free birding apps for your phone.  I encourage you to give it a try, it's a fun 'nature lesson' to share with children. Don't feel that you have to submit data all four days, may folk's work schedules do not allow for that.  Pick a location, pick a day or two and get started. I am going to do so for the 6th consecutive year.  Believe me, I was a bumbling newbie the first year, but my data was valid and useful. 


I think that in the birding world, I'm beginning to see signs that Love is in the Air!

The Song Sparrows have begun to sing, and the Juncos looking like they are pairing up.

 I continue be enchanted by my encounters with Chestnut-backed Chickadees. 

Could they be pairing up as well?

I bought this feeder particularly to attract smaller birds like juncos and chickadees - so no complaints!

The birds also like to nibble off small bits of peanuts.

See? He has a chip in his beak.

You brighten a dull winter's day.

3 comments:

Maggee said...

I am going to do the GBBC, and I HOPE the Yellow-throated Warbler comes by! I put in my last sighting of 2/5 on ebird day before yesterday, and said it was the last... and then yesterday, it came again!! So... I am holding out hope for more sightings, possibly this weekend! But... I am also going to go out birding, since we will have the beginning of a week of nice weather! Yay! Thanks for the reminder! And I LOVE seeing the Chestnut-backed Chickadees! So beautifully colored! Hugs!

Margaret said...

Great pictures! I thought of you when I heard the bird watch was coming up.

Barb said...

We had fun watching the birds this morning. We had a "bully" house finch on the feeder. He was so busy chasing other birds away that he rarely ate any seeds! I had no idea there were bullies in the bird world!