Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Wildlife Wednesday

I'm trying something different this Wednesday, a look at the wildlife rather than a nature walk.  Are you up for the change? 

We will start out small with some kind of small green caterpillar.  The native trees are full of these and the birds snag hundreds of them each day to feed their babies.

I had a chipmunk of the back patio.

I think the darned thing was eating the buds on my ice plant.

It was hard for me to see what he had in his hands.

But I don't think it was a sunflower seed.

Yes, you!

Do you see the cat who sees you?

On my last walk over to the Quarry Pond, there was one Western Pond Turtle sunning on the turtle log.

The female turtles may be away from the pond laying their eggs.

I recently had a lovely buck all in velvet stroll by.

As you can see, he was not scared of me.

A handsome profile.

This though was the big surprise Saturday morning.

Once again the Steller's Jays kicked up a ruckus and this guy walked out of the forest. 

We looked at each other from a distance of 60 feet or so...

...and then he turned and retreated.
I waited a couple of minutes and then walked over to see if our trail camera was set up so that it would have captured a photo or two...

...when I looked up, there he was about 20 feet away in the tall grasses.

A bit closer to me than I was comfortable with.

When he left once again, I walked back to the house backward to make sure the cat did not return behind my back.

You may have noticed that I referred to the bob-cat has "he".  Stay tuned and on Saturday you'll see why. 





8 comments:

Maggee said...

Holey moley!! That was too close!! I love their looks, but the bobcat is not one to entertain like the chipmunk. Can't wait to know how YOU knew it was a male... Hugs!

Vickie said...

Ah the buck pictures are so nice Beth. YIKES! That bobcat is waaaay too close!

Robin in Virginia said...

While I enjoy your nature walks on Wednesday, I really enjoyed the critter walk this morning. Love the buck picture in profile! To close for comfort with you and the Bobcat. Enjoy your day, Beth!

MaryO said...

Wowie zowie Beth! Wonderful pics,but I agree, beautiful kitteh was too close!

arcadia said...

Ok, it's official, I'm packing my things and come to live in your neighborhood hehe

CalamityJr said...

Great post, though I agree that the bobcat was too close for comfort!

deb said...

Only 20 feet away from you? Eeep! Incredible pictures of the cat, but worrisome that he was that close.

The chippies on the other hand ... little imps!

Pam in IL said...

Love the wildlife! While I've been face to face with a bob-cat more than once, they move away to fast for me to ever identify male or female. I actually prefer it that way, lol. Looking forward to Saturday's post.