Friday, January 6, 2017

Winter is Flinging Weather

Design - "Winter Fling" (kit)
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 32 count Natural Belfast linen
Fibers - GAST - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 11 January 2011
Completed - 14 January 2011

What do you do when Winter is Flinging Weather left and right? 

You sulk and pout inside where you are warm and dry.  

The birds have no choice but to be outside.

This Steller's Jay looks none to happy.

I had lots of Juncos at the feeders.

I was pleased to see both of my Anna's Hummingbirds. 

A Flicker watched from afar...

...while the Juncos and Towhees had a feast.

Juncos are pretty sweet birds.

This one has a few flakes of snow on his head.

The Flicker flew in for a closer look.

The California Quail came by.

I tossed food on the ground for them.

The male Anna's Hummingbird looked cold. 

The Song Sparrow stomped through the snow.

I had a couple of Hairy Woodpeckers feeding at the same time.

Did not manage a photo of that, but here's one of a Hairy with a Chestnut-backed Chickadee.

I think the Chestnut-backed Chickadee used some 'adult' language when commenting on the weather. 

I do like his chocolate brown accents.

Stay warm dear Annas.  I'll have food ready just before daylight!

7 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Oh what a delightful grumpy face:-) The flicker looks great against the snow - it's red flash stands out beautifully.

deb said...

It seems incredible the hummingbirds are still there in the snow. They're so tiny - I want to bundle them up in thick, fuzzy fleece to keep them warm!

Barb said...

Glad to see all your birds alive and doing as well as can be expected.

Margaret said...

Looks like everyone is safe, if a bit cold. It's good you keep them fed!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

You are fortunate to have such a wide variety of birds to view in your neck of the woods. Great photos. :)

Carol said...

I'm always surprised at how birds can survive in this frigid weather! I've notice a significant increase in the bird activity at our feeders since the snow came...

Have never seen a Chestnut-backed Chickadee in person. They are almost as cute as their cousins :)

Maggee said...

Oh I love this! such a wonderful variety! I just had a juvenile Red-bellied woodpecker visit--it's head was not entirely red yet! AND then two Carolina wrens were on the same suet feeder! I knew there were two...maybe three, because the two I just saw were almost the same size and there is a much smaller one visiting too! Pretty cold here, tho not snowing anymore... Thanks for sharing--perked me right up! Hugs!