Monday, January 16, 2017

Snow Snow Go Away!

Design - "Snowman Scissor Companion"
Designer - Ewe & Eye & Friends
Fabric - 32 count Dirty Belfast linen
Fibers - Anchor - one strand over two threads
Started - 15 January 2011
Completed - 16 January 2011

Sorry - I continue to share past stitches because that's all I have at the moment. 

On the birding side though, I had a bird show up at the feeders that I've not seen for several months.

I've been hearing a Red-breasted Nuthatch in the forest, so I was thrilled to have one come to the front feeders to eat a peanut or two. 

While I have a nice group of House Finches, I am distressed at the number of birds who are suffering from Mycoplasmal conjunctivitis). Notice the red, swollenrunny, or crusty eyes. In extreme cases the eyes become swollen shut and the bird becomes blind.

When the birds gather at the feeders, they naturally spread the disease to one another.  I try to clean the feeders regularly, but other than that, there is nothing I can do.

On a brighter note, Song Sparrows and most other small birds are immune to the disease.


And while the snow is off the trees and brush...

...there's still snow and ice on the ground.

Today the weather is to warm up to well above freezing.

The quail and I have both been chanting, "Snow snow go away!"

Many of you know Maggee from her Stitching Devotee blog.  She has also become a birder and shows off a truly lovely bird in her latest Birding Devotee post - take a look!

4 comments:

Vickie said...

Maybe this is a snowlady you stitched? With her pink hat and scarf? ;)
DID YOU WATCH THE GAME?!? :D WAHOO! YOWZA! INTENSE OR WHAT?!

Maggee said...

I sure am in the mood for stitching snowmen... tho not to encourage more snow here!! We had our blizzard... it was enough! I hope the heat of today melts it all for you! It took a couple days in the sixties to clear us! I LOVE the Red-breasted Nuthatch--on my list for this year!! It could happen! Thanks for the shout out! The Yellow-throated Warbler is still coming around today! Man, so exciting! Hugs!

deb said...

Oh, that poor little finch - my eyes are watering in sympathy. You mentioned extreme cases - do lesser infections(?) clear up eventually?

Enjoyed seeing your nuthatch - there's a bird that always makes me smile.

Barb said...

So sorry to hear about that nasty disease. I'll be looking more closely at my birds.