Monday, January 23, 2017

My Women's March Experience

I thought I'd give this post a very straight-forward title so folks could decide whether or not they wanted to continue reading.

So on behalf of ALL women, my sister and I marched in Eugene, Oregon on an extremely rainy Saturday afternoon.

The march gathered at our federal court house.

Many speakers including a city councilor, our mayor, and Representative Peter DeFazio.

Lots of creative and inclusive signs. I especially liked the group of link cranes - signs of peace.

We took off as the rain poured down...

...lots of supportive police...

...and bystanders.

Lots of pink!

Another marcher graciously shared a couple of her aerial shots.
The police estimated that there were 10,000 participants.
  
Yes, there were political statements!

Dozens of supports lined the overpark structure.

Hats!

Marchers and supports on the parking structure. 

This sign said "Following in their footsteps".

I carried ALL women in my heart.  I found the experience to be extremely positive and uplifting.  Someone posted that after leaving the courthouse, there was only one coffee cup to pick up. Truly amazing the size and number of marches in the USA and worldwide.  Following my Facebook feed on Saturday at time brought tears to my eyes - so much energy and love. We are stronger together!

I have a link on the right of the blog for "10 Actions in 100 Days" - a follow up to the march. It starts with a postcard campaign. 

14 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm so glad you shared your experience! My DH marched in NYC. I would have gone too, but my fear of crowds conquered my desire to participate. I was there in spirit though. So glad you had this experience to share with us!

Amy said...

This is a WONDERFUL post. Thank you for sharing.

LaNelle said...

Wonderful so happy you were able & willing to share😘 Here in MN of St.Paul/Minneapolis we had about 90,000 so awesome ...glad we are sharing our voices❤️

Pondside said...

Good for you! My sister marched in NYC and my niece in Toronto. Thank you!

Pondside said...

Good for you! My sister marched in NYC and my niece in Toronto. Thank you!

Kristen said...

So many wonderful signs this weekend!

Maggee said...

Very encouraging post Beth! Big kudos to you and your sister for attending!

deb said...

Glad you went and that it was positive for you, and thanks for sharing your experience!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Awesome! Kudos to all who peacefully and positively marched.

Frances said...

I sometimes wonder where my mind is.....I knew about the Washington DC march, but wasn't aware there would be other marches around the country! How oblivious to life I have become!!!!! Anyway, I had a wedding to play for on Saturday afternoon and headed to downtown Jackson to get ready for the service. I noticed a few folks walking north, and most were carrying signs. When I got out of the car at the church, I could hear speeches and cheers! It dawned on me that we were having a march/rally and I didn't know! I'm so pitiful! (Our state capitol building is a block from the cathedral.) But, I understand that it was very well attended. I'm glad you got to go to yours.

Erin said...

I'm a few days late, but just wanted to say how much I love reading about the experiences of my friends/marchers around the world. I did not march - I have a 6 year old, and while I DO want her to learn the value of civil disobedience and standing up for the values you believe in, I don't think she was quite ready for this kind of event. Soon enough!

I also like the "10 actions" campaign. Momentum is so important! As for me, I've volunteered to be a member of my local school district's newest long-range range planning committee. Local actions can be HUGE (or would that be... "yuge"?? LOL).

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Good for you! It's so important to stand up and be counted. I've done my share of marching and protesting over the years. My first was when I was only 13, with my Dad, protesting against the closure of the factory where he worked.
Now I tend to be online, signing petitions and spreading awareness that way.
There was so much support in the UK for you all, we are going through a similarly bad time here. It is good to know there are like-minded people across the world.

Melanie said...

I'm so glad you ended up going to one! It was such a great experience. Keep an eye out for the Tax Day one! I can't see that being as well attended but who knows at this point, right?

Christine said...

On behalf of many other women, I thank you for marching!