Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gardening and Stitching Wisdom

Design - "Wisdom" (kit)
Designer - Shakespeare's Peddler
Fabric - 32 count Pearled Barley linen 
Fibers - Belle Soie Silk - one strand over two threads
Started - 15 August 2011
Completed - 17 August 2011

After a quiet June and July, ironically, the Great Horned Owls made their presence known Saturday night - "Who-who-whoo...whoo...whoo".  So I'll say this stitch is on honor of their vocal return! 

My sister and I stopped by Down to Earth on Saturday. The above pot of sedum, rudbeckia, crocosmia, and achillea is a wonderful way to highlight some of August's best perennial performers.  

And isn't this rustic box of sedums charming? 

Needless to say, I could not walk away from Down to Earth empty-handed!
I had some sedum "holes" in my strawberry pots to fill - the darned birds dig in the pots and uproot the little plants.  My "Red, White, & Blue" pot plantings were far past their prime - very tatty looking and needed a "remodel job". 

So Sunday morning I potted up these fillers..

...and redressed my strawberry pots.

Then Monday morning, I replanted my two large pots on the front porch.

I went for "pow" with strong colors in both - an agastache in the middle and pansies around the edges.

Tom-Cat might turn out to be a good gardener too~

I have to brag about planter purchases!  Down to Earth had these pots on sale for 50% off!  The Strawberry pot ended up being $15, all the other large pots were just $4 each - wow!  So now I'm off to a good start for Gardening Year 2012!

I'll leave with with my lily "Sumatra"...
You can view other gardens at The Tuesday Garden Party hosted by An Oregon Cottage. 

5 comments:

butterfly said...

Love your new stitch also , love the Lily what a wonderful colour.

Mouse said...

ohh nice finish .. love the wols and I like your remodelling of your plants too :) love mouse xxx

Sandy said...

I'm so glad I found your blog.. I'm a gardener and a stitcher and I might just learn from you!
Nice blog
Sandy

Dani - tkdchick said...

What a lovely stitch!

Oooh I wish I had the garden bug! I look at my gardens and think about all the hard work invovled and go inside and stitch!

learningtable said...

Your strawberry pots are beautiful--I love the plantings you did!
:)