Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Farmers and Quakers

Well I'm back from Portland, with a small finish too.

Design - "Summer Stars Pincushion"
Designer - Blackbird Designs
Fabric - 30 count WDW Parchment linen
Fibers - GAST Simply Shaker
Started -6 August 2011.
Completed - 7 August 2011
   
It's time for the Tuesday Garden Party at An Oregon Cottage.
I thought I'd share photos from the Portland Farmers' Market.

The Saturday Portland Farmers' Market has a lovely location on the Park Blocks of Portland State University.

The Market is shaped in a "U" with a couple of aisles connecting the sides of the "U". It is a large diverse market as befits a city the size of Portland. 

Fresh cut flowers from Swan Island Dahlias...

Fresh fruits from local orchards...

I have a soft spot for cheery sunflowers!

Blueberries, peas, and beans - all freshly picked.

There were food cart vendors, meat and eggs, cheese-makers, fisher-folk, bakeries, dairies, plant nurseries, and lots of farm fresh veggies and fruits.  

This group (I think brothers and a sister) was my favorite entertainment.   The three from the left were quite good, the youngest on the right was there simply for the "cute" factor! 

I succumbed to a variety of fresh seafood - shrimp, crab, and salmon.

Oh and salami and cheeses too!
We spent a couple of hours touring the market, sampling many of the items, and making our purchases.  It was a great morning!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Those Salami's and Cheeses look delish! And the market pictures are beautiful!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Our M&S have really unusual sunflowers just now - they are called Teddy Bear Sunflowers and they're lovely - all fluffy.

Sarah Beth said...

Nice finish. You have made me hungry!!!! I love farmer markets. We have one in town-very small-but nice none the less.

Siobhán said...

Lovely finish!

The farmers market--yummmmo! The fruits look delicious.

carol fun said...

Love your little Quaker Stars! And those dahlias make me swoon. I wish mine looked that good - too much heat and too little rain - the life of a gardener - big sigh!

tea said...

Thank you, everything is lovely especially the flowers and peaches. So pretty.

Barb said...

Everything looks wonderful! We don't have many flowers in our yard right now, mostly rudbeckia and giant sunflowers.

I'm hitting my local farmers market on Thursday. Maybe I'll find some pretty flowers there.

Gabi said...

Lovely finish. Congrats. Love the pictures from the farmers market too. Missing that here where I live.

Lois said...

That food does look good! Nice finish!