Monday, March 11, 2019

Woodpeckers Big and Small

Design - "Joyful Journal - March"
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 30 count WDW Confederate Gray
Fibers - GAST & WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 7 March 2017
Completed - 30 March 2017

After several week's hiatus, I was most pleased to see a little female Downy Woodpecker.

She spent most of the time frozen...

...unmoving.

I could not figure out why...

...until I went outside and saw this small Sharp-shinned Hawk close at hand.
I interfered with Nature, clapped my hands, and the hawk flew off.

The male Acorn Woodpeckers move my 'Nutty for Nuts' seed cylinders.

They, with the 'help' of the Starlings, polished off two in under 5 days! 

Post-snow, the Flickers continue to come by and consume lots of Bark Butter and suet.

4 comments:

Babs said...

beautiful birds and I love that little stitch

Rhodesia said...

What a great set of photos. Have a good week Diane

Robin in Virginia said...

Sweet March stitch! I bet the birds are enjoying the suet and the Bark Butter these days.

Barb said...

Good for you Beth. You just might have saved a wonderful small bird!