Friday, August 18, 2017

Friday's Finish - Yellow Birds

Design - "Goldfinch"
Chart - "Prairie Birds"
Designer - The Prairie Schooler
Fabric - 32 count Ocean Kiss Wichlet linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 11 August 2017
Completed - 13 August 2017

This was a fun stitch and it works to acknowledge the Goldfinches I have here and those I saw in Michigan.

Generally speaking, it's the Lesser Goldfinches who are most colorful now.

Most of my American Goldfinches are now dressed like this.

There are a few males still holding on to their summer colors...

And most of those are still busy feeding fledglings.

Here's a close-up of a young bird.

She's still figuring out how to get along on her own. 
On to other Yellow Birds...

I had a brief sighting of a group of Evening Grosbeaks - this was the best photo I could manage.

Wednesday morning a female Western Tanager stopped by.

She was quiet and alert...

I wonder if she is a 'this year's" fledgling. 

Tanagers never come to my feeders, but they do come to the trees and brush nearby - lucky me!

On Tuesday morning a flash of color caught my eye... 

A male Western Tanager!

He was quite far away - a zoom lens is a wonderful tool.

Thanks for coming by, I hope to see you again soon.

5 comments:

Carol said...

I love this goldfinch finish, Beth--they are one of my favorite birds, too. Oh, that male Tanager certainly is one striking bird!

Robin in Virginia said...

Your goldfinch finish is sweet. Enjoyed see your in the flesh goldfinches as well!

MaryO said...

Beautiful! So is the cross stitch piece!

Maggee said...

So interesting... you are stitching and have stitched the very same four that I stitched many many years ago! You are going to do a few more, but that was all I liked for my display unit thingy... Wow! The male Western Tanager wins the prize in this post, for the most colorful display! Awesome birds!

Barb said...

Yellow Birds is so pretty as are the real yellow birds!