Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Robin Red-breast

I worked on the Prairie Schooler's "May" yesterday and managed to get the Robin stitched.  Now I have to 'plant' some grass and add some blossoms, and stitch the name of the month.  Then this will move from being a WIP to being finished! 

After a couple of days in the 90's today is to be cooler.  Let's enjoy the more moderate temperatures and take a walk.

This is the newest Creature in the Forest!
My father bought this small bear last week and it has not failed to startle me each and every time I walk past it.  Yes, I visibly jump!

The pine trees are showing stress from lack of rain and many of the needles have turned brown.

The Douglas Fir continue to ripe.  You can see a drip or two of sap on the left and the cones are just beginning to harden off and turn brown. 

The Dogwood fruit is plump and ripe and pretty...

...as are the blackberries.

The oaks are festooned with galls. I don't know that I've ever seen this many before.  The thing I don't see though are acorns.

As best I can tell no eats Snowberries, or at least they are a berry of last resort.

The small seasonal creek-beds are completely dry. 

Still there are lots of shades of green to enjoy in this montage of thimbleberry, blackberry, and sword fern.

I was surprised to see this Large Leaved Avens (Geum macrophyllum) in bloom this time of year.

Sometimes the Sword Ferns look tired and dusty by August, but these still are healthy and glossy looking.

We have lots of large thickets of what I call Hazel Brush. The squirrels and chipmunks and jays have striped the plants of the ripe nuts. 

And now everyone, deer included, are feasting on blackberries.

An early sign of Autumn. With almost no rain the past two months, the trees are stressed and so the leaves have begun to turn.

That's it for our walk today.  Time to go back inside and grab a large glass of ice water! 

One year ago today Mom and I headed off to Heathrow...and then...well, I'll let you read about it!

6 comments:

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Love the progress on the robin and those berries sure look good. Berry crumble...mmmm!!!

laceystitcher said...

All of the beautiful trees and fruits made me wish I lived in Oregon. Love it! I live in Kansas,and we have had a cooler and wetter summer than usual. Things are still green here; they are usually all brown by now, so I am enjoying that, even the additional mowing. Love the robin. Thanks for sharing.

cucki said...

Beautiful photos..
Lovely stitching xxx

Barb said...

Your walk looked much like our area. The blackberries are very good so far. We had a nice cool day today but according to the weatherman more heat by the week-end! UG!

Pam in IL said...

The robin looks great! We haven't had any rain since June and everything here is drying up and turning brown as well. I'm just hoping and praying that there is no rain between Sept 4 and Sept 7 since my daughter's wedding is outdoors. That bear would startle me every time I saw it too.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Love your robin and oh do those berries look delicious :)