Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Waving and Walking for the 2nd Week in a Row

Design - "Flag Roundabout" (kit)
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 32 count Summer Khaki linen
Fibers - WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 6 July 2012
Completed - 7 July 2012

Boy, it's been hot out lately. 
Bring along a bottle of water, and let's take a walk.
 
This time of year everything is ripening - including the Hazel nuts.

This is a Red Huckleberry (Vaccinium parvifolium). The berries are a bright red, 1/4-1/2 in., edible but somewhat tart. The plant grows in coniferous forests, in humus, from coastline to mid-elevations. It is often seen growing out of old rotting stumps as this plant was.  It blooms more prolifically and sets more fruit in forest openings that get more light. This plant was in the dense shade and thus berry production was sparse. 

This is the Trailing Blackberry (Rubus ursinus).  Ironically it is climbing (not trailing) up a small Douglas Fir tree.

I go back to 'who knows' the name of this. I didn't recognize the leaf, but the plant, whatever it is, has set berries. 

I think there's nothing glossier than the berries of False Solomon's Seal.

Again I plead ignorance - lovely berries whatever they are! 

The Thimbleberries (Rubus parviflorus) are so pretty I decided they were deserving of a series of photos.  Here's a crowd-shot.

A close up of a ripening berry - isn't that they most luscious pink?  It reminds me of a shade in the GAST Simply Shaker family of colors.

And here is a ripe Thimbleberry.  Nope!  I've never tasted one. 

Watch out!  This is the berries and leaves of Poison Oak!

We will end this walk at the Secret Path.  This is where my father saw a bear Friday morning.  Fortunately it is bear-free right now. 

I'm hot and ready to kick back in the shade of the Front Porch.  I hope you are able to stay cool too.  

7 comments:

Denise said...

I find your knowledge amazing. You know the names of most everything!

Love your little stitch - it's adorable!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

What a pretty finish and again your nature and knowledge of it, ispires me!

Carol said...

I love your latest finish--you are such a fast stitcher it amazes me!

Sure hope it cools off for you out that way, Beth--enjoy your front porch :)

Bianca said...

I enjoyed this post berry much :)

Anonymous said...

HOT is an understatement! LOL You stitching and garden wonders are as always, wonderful.

Barb said...

I love your flag finish! The berry walk was fun. I love seeing all the different berries up here!

Melanie said...

Yikes! A bear? That's scary. They caught a bear about a 1/2 mile from house last month but it was a freak thing. (And hopefully it stays that way.) The 'worst' thing I've seen on the bike path in town is a red fox, thankfully.
Super cute finish!!! :)