Monday, June 8, 2020

Bears and Birds


Design - "Bee Skep"
Chart - "June"
Designer - The Prairie Schooler
Fabric - 32 count Lambswool linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 15 May 2013
Completed - 20 May 2013

My backyard bear story happened Wednesday night.
I'd gotten lazy and not set up a motion-detector sprinkler...

...so when a bear strolled through the backyard and found suet, the metal grid was no challenge to remove to extract the suet.

The bear also bent over this shepherd's hook to see if there was anything to eat in the tray.  The bear also tried to remove our largest bird feeder. The clip held, but the bale is bent.  All and all I was lucky, no broken or lost feeders.  

I think there are just two Violet-green Swallow couples using my nesting boxes this year.

I'd like more, but these four allow me to enjoy their graceful flying and happy chattering.

The House Wren couple continue apace too. It will be interesting to watch how many babies they have and when the young wrens fledge. 

For a couple of days I briefly had a White-breasted Nuthatch stop by for a bite of suet.  This is a bird I do not regularly see up at the house.

Yellow, yellow, yellow!  American Goldfinches are my burst of color.

And we appear to have a 'pet' turkey.  Tilda Turkey my mother has named her.  She hangs around most days and is comfortable napping on the front porch and back patio.

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Glad the bear didn't so as much damage as it could have! Tilda Turkey is a pretty thing. Love your bird shots, Beth!

wranglerkate said...

Love your girl Tilda! Thanks so much for sharing.