Thursday, March 23, 2017

New Arrivals

Design - "First Day of Spring"
Designer - Sam Sarah Designs
Fabric - 32 count Natural Light linen
Fibers - Crescent Colours & DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 23 March 2014
Completed - 23 March 2014

We're just past the first day of spring - so I am featuring a spring stitch and a new arrival or two.

over the weekend I saw a pair of American Goldfinches, but was not able to get a photo.

So I was thrilled when a pair of Lesser Goldfinches showed up that I had my camera at hand. This is the female.
   
And here is the male.

They are not melodic birds. 

Rather they make a grating mechanical sound that is instantly recognizable.   

I'd forgotten just how small they are.
Much smaller than my House Finches or American Goldfinches.

Finally the pair flew to the feeders.
Female

Male

Welcome back you two!

5 comments:

Vickie said...

This is such a pretty, little stitch.

Les Fous du Cap said...

Un oiseau aux couleurs bien printanières ;-)
Céline & Philippe

Barb said...

Those little birds are so pretty. I love that bright yellow on the male. What a very pretty little stitch!

deb said...

They're so bright already! I don't see them here in NW PA, but in northern Virginia, we wouldn't see their bright yellow flashes until late June or even July. Not sure where they hid until then - must have been somewhere as their bright coats only lasted a month or so as far as we were ever able to determine.

LDR said...

The Lesser Goldfinches are beautiful. I like your Sam Sarah stitch. It's so nice to see the signs of spring.