Monday, September 5, 2016

A Day of Rest - Labor Day

Design - "August Rings"
Designer - Bent Creek 
Fabric - 32 count Country French Cafe mocha linen
Fibers - GAST & WDW -2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 26 August 2016
Completed - 28 August 2016

Here's another lighthouse, albeit a small one for Barb of the Wicked Stitcher!

It's a day to honor those all those who work by taking a day off from work.
As a history major, I always think about the Triangle Shirtwaste Factory fire of 1911. The owners had locked the doors to stairwells and exits, so over 146 garment workers, most young women aged 16-23 died when the building caught fire. I think sometimes we fail to appreciate how many workers died before workers's safety rules and the 40 hour work week became standard.

On a brighter and lighter note... HUMMERS! 

My Rufous Hummingbirds have left.
It's All Anna's All the Time now.

I think I have a couple of females, this is a young one.

And here is an adult female.

And here's the King of Them All.

My male Anna's rarely perches.

I'm glad he did.

I do find the hummers fun to photograph.

I think they are incapable for taking a bad photo.

Here's my young male Anna's with a but of color on his throat.

He rather thinks he is something special.

And who am I to argue with him?

 I spoke too soon!

There's still at least one Rufous Hummingbird in the backyard! 

Robin in Virginia was kind enough to allow me to share her photo of Ruby-throat Hummingbirds. She has eight feeders, yep, eight!  As there are a dozen birds surrounding these three feeders, I cannot imagine just how many birds she must have!  Wow!  I'd be sitting outside watching them for hours upon end!

There is a rather amazing video from March of 2015 showing the Rufous Hummingbird migration as they pass through Clatskanie, Oregon.  Take a look at the swarm


5 comments:

Maggee said...

Love your hummers! And Robin's! I just watched the hummer cam at Cornell's website... Just a hummer kind of day! :)

Robin in Virginia said...

As always, I enjoy your bird photos. Thanks for the link to the Rufous migration.

Rowyn said...

Gorgeous wildlife photos, as always.

It is sad that even in 2016, people die in workplace accidents. :(

Barb said...

Another delightful lighthouse, you are inspiring me Beth. Next summer for sure. last day for the year on Sept.27. We had over 100 visitors the last time we had lighthouse duty. Wonderful hummingbird photos as usual. I will be checking out the link!

Barb said...

I just watched the link. I agree with you , I would be out there all day watching them!! Just amazing!