Friday, June 17, 2016

One Dove Down One to Go

I finished the first Mourning Dove and have begun to stitch the second one. The colors are very representative of the Mourning Dove in "real life." 

It's time for a Woodpecker Update.
Well, I think I saw a Downy Woodpecker...maybe.
I did see a Pileated Woodpecker flying across the backyard.

I had two male Flickers 'battling'. I think they might have been father and son.

I continue to see my male Acorn Woodpecker regularly.

But I had become concerned because for several days I'd not seen any Hairy Woodpeckers.

That changed on Monday.  And on Tuesday I was thrilled to see a newly fledged male Hairy Woodpecker.

The youngster came to the feeder with his father. 

Dad was still feeding his baby boy.

The two birds chattered to one another making woodpecker sounds I'd not heard before.

The two birds flew from my feeders to this big Douglas fir tree.

Then back to the feeders.  Note the placement of the red on the youngster's head versus that of his father's.  

Baby Boy has red on the top of his head, while Daddy's red is on the back of his head.

Here they are again.

Dad feeding his son.

Baby Boy is below.

Such a wonderful thing to be able to watch.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Your Mourning Dove stitch is looking so pretty, Beth. I do love watching and listening to their cooing--such gentle birds. (On the other hand--those nasty starlings were driving me so crazy, I had to bring in our suet feeders. They left! But, so did all the pretty woodpeckers... I'm going to try putting them back out in a bit and hoping the starlings have moved on to greener pastures).

CathieJ said...

You were able to capture some very beautiful pictures. Thanks for identifying the differences.

Barb said...

What lovely pictures. I especially love the one where the dad is feeding the little one. Your morning dove design is very pretty with such nice colors.

Le trame della Galaverna said...

Great progress on your beautiful stitch

Maggee said...

I am sure by now you finished the Doves, but I want to catch up in order... Love the woodpecker shots!! Especially Dad feeding the son! I have Downys every day, but twice in the past week I finally have a red-bellied woodpecker. Yay! Hugs!