Tuesday, June 14, 2016

June is Flying By

June is flying by. This past weekend we celebrated a college graduation and a combination new home / first birthday.  With recent events, it is good to have positive things to hold close to.

But what with everything, I do not have much in the way of stitching to share.
So back to The Stitching Archives.   

Design - "Bee Strong" (kit) 
Designer - Bent Creek
Fabric -18 count Wichlet Lambwool linen
Fibers - DMC
Started - 21 September 2003
Completed - 20 October 2003 

There are metal letters that say 'Bee Strong", I did not choose to add them to my design. I liked it without the sentiment. 

Let's look at some birds.

A female House Finch.

Part of my flock of American Goldfinches.  I have had as many as 20 birds.

A male Black-headed Grosbeak.
I think I have four couples.

A male California Quail.
I've seen parents with 8 or 9 little ones, my Mom saw one baby, and my Dad saw parents with around a dozen babies.  No photos yet, but I will post as soon as I am able.

A female and male Red-shafted Northern Flicker.

I watched two males arguing - I think it was a parent and a newly fledged son.

The adult left and the young bird stayed for a while.

In the past three weeks or so I rarely see my female Acorn Woodpecker.  The male is fairly regular.  He eats, but also takes food away - he may be feeding the female as she sits on the nest.

12 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Lovely to see the varity of birds that come to your garden.

Le trame della Galaverna said...

Very beautiful stitch

eileeninmd said...

Hello, awesome variety of birds. I would love to see the Acorn woodie and the Black-headed Grosbeak! Great photos.
Enjoy your day!

Silver Parrot said...

Awesome birdies! I love those Northern Flickers - one of my faves!

Barb said...

Be Strong is a pretty stitch. You still have am amazing group of birds.

Unknown said...

Ah, June! Baby bird month. What's not to love?
I stumbled on your blog about 2 months ago and am really enjoying it. You take such wonderful bird photos. I live in Portland Oregon and we don't have the birds as concentrated as you do although we have most of them if you know where to look. Sometimes I miss countryside living for the birds and critters, but at least no one now eats all my veg and flower garden in one night! I also like how you blog nearly every day. Thanks. Robin in Portland OR.

Margaret said...

Been enjoying your last posts. Good to see Parvati enjoying the heavy machinery, and sad that you missed some of the baby birds leaving the nest. But good that you have new babies around too. Your bird pics are wonderful as always. Why does it always amaze me to see quail that look like quail? lol!

Anna van Schurman said...

Your bee skep is cute. I missed that one.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great mix of birds.

Latane Barton said...

I love the flicker best of all.

Adam Jones said...

I love the Quail.

Maggee said...

I agree--where has June gone?! Hopefully we will get out a little to enjoy it, soon... It has been so rainy lately, and then muggy. Hoping to throw together a birding trip for Sunday and Monday up in the mountains... I have had one or two American Goldfinches visit... not much, but something. Today I had a Brown Thrasher drop by, no doubt because of the rain, which is fine! And found a baby robin in the neighbor's yard, who has dogs, so we moved it over to my yard... It hopped around and is fine, and Momma found it. Phew! Thanks for sharing all the birds! Hugs!