Friday, May 10, 2013

A Friday Finish to Share


It took over a month, and the help of a Cross Stitch Blog Angel to finish this Chessie and Me piece.


Design - "Botanical Garden Sewing Pocket"
Designer - Chessie and Me
Fabric - 28 count Straw / Gray Gingham linen 
Fibers - WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 11 April 2013
Completed - 9 May 2013

Why did this take a month to finish?  I really can't say.  It should have gone much faster, but I think I just ended up setting it aside as the good weather and gardening called my name.  I really like it and think it looks great on the linen.  I'm going to frame it as a sampler.  The piece is a bit larger than shown.  The edges overlapped on the scanner on the right side.

Spring is in the air and we have Quail everywhere.  Thursday evening I counted nineteen Quail.  I haven't seen that many since late last Summer.  We had between 11-13 for most of the Winter. Everyone is pairing up and if the 9 couple each have 10-12 babies we will have a Quail Population Explosion!

I was surprised to see a "City Sparrow" in the front yard the other day.  It is a House Sparrow, but we call them City Sparrows as we normally see them in town picking up crumbs of food from outside eating areas.    

I'm beginning to think I just have Anna's Hummingbirds this year and no Rufous...

I tend to devalue the Black Headed Grosbeaks as I prefer the colors of the Evening Grosbeaks.  I will say though that I was put in my place one morning as this fellow sang and sang and sang the most melodic of songs.  Truly lovely.

The Acorn Woodpeckers remind me of birds atop a Native America totem pole as they fly in with wings spread out.

It will be interesting to see if this pair successfully raises babies.  If they do, I would expect to see them at the feeders by late Summer.
An iridescent Anna!

My Nyjer seed bag must have segregated seating.
It is either all Pine Siskins...

...or all Goldfinches.

I mentioned that I am getting more and more Evening Grosbeaks at the feeder.  This young lady is a fledgling from last Summer.  She is still plump and downy, with a Mohawk hair style.  How do I know she's a youngster?  

Well, just compare her ruffled looks with the sleek elegance of this mature female Grosbeak.

15 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lovely bird photos today Beth. I like the front view of the quail with the detail showing of the chest feathers - the beauty of the hummingbirds is such a treat, those feathers are just magical. I often listen to the birds and find it such a special sound - there is something so relaxing in it.

Susan said...

Congratulations on a very cute finish. I love the linen you chose. Thank you for the bird pictures, I especially like the quail photos - while I have only seen them in photos but find them very handsome birds.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

I love your finish, really is so pretty - hugs, Amanda

Giovanna said...

A beautiful finish - congratulations!

Angie Burrett said...

Love the pretty sampler Beth - plus beautiful bird photos. I always enjoy your bog updates - thank you for sharing your love of nature as well as your beautiful handiwork. Have a great weekend. x

Anne said...

Love your new finished Chessie and Me finish!! And your blog header of course!! Lots to look at!! Love the bird photos too!!

Hugs!

cucki said...

Very sweet finish.. Lovely birds x

Barb said...

I love your finish, so appropriate for a gardening lover!!The birds are wonderful. The hummingbird photos are amazing!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

The Chessie finish is beautiful. Amazing photos of the birds

Maggee said...

That Chessie and Me finish is so YOU!! It is so cute and spring-y! Love the pictures of the birds, as always!! THAT is going to be a LOT of Quail if they all reproduce! Wow! I saw an Eastern Towhee when I was out of town last week/weekend. Nothing else exciting. As always, I am catching up on blog reading after a time away! Amazing how they add up! Hugs!

Anna van Schurman said...

Congratulations! That piece looks great on that fabric. That fabric is pretty amazing...I might have to add some to my stash!

Wanda said...

Beautiful pics! I am fascinated by the thistle feed mesh bags but am fairly certain our friendly raccoons would have a heyday with it.

Carol said...

Congratulations on that gorgeous finish, Beth!! Well worth the time it took! And I do love that quail--the little thingy on his head is so dapper looking...

Melanie said...

Very nice little finish!! :)

Annette-California said...

Gorgeous Sampler! I haven't seen this chart before. You did a very beautiful job of stitching it.
love Annette