Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Wednesday Walk

And back "April's Daisy" we go.  I worked on the border a bit last night.  This piece has been languishing unattended when I originally though I might get it done in April...and now it's May 8th...hmmm.

Well, it's  another lovely day.  Let's go for a walk.    

Oh the wild Iris.  I think what I like about them best is the wide variation in color.  This new bud is intensely purple.

These open blossoms are pale in comparison.

And I love the combination of the purple blooms against a sea of green.
Lush.

At the shaded edge of the forest, behind the garages, we have several large shrubs all in bloom now.  They are commonly called Ocena Spray(Holodiscu s discolor).

The wild Dogwoods have about finished up - they certainly were floriferous this year.

The new growth on the young Douglas Fir trees are highly evident this time of year.  Bright light green exclamation points at the end of each branch.

In the deep shade Large False Solomons Seal (Maianthemum racemosum) grows in abundance.

Our native Bleeding Heart is another shade-lover.  You can see Horsetails growing in the background.

The Lady's Slippers bloom for just a couple of weeks.  This is the last time we will see this exquisite little orchids.

Here's a 'Group Shot" of some of the Shade Lovers.
We have Bleeding Heart, and Large False Solomon's Seal, and Western Meadowrue, and Sword Ferns, and a Blackberry.

Another Spring, and this Forget-me-not relative is still a mystery to me.

Here's a nice group of Star Flowered False Solomon's Seal (Maianthemum stellatum).

The hedgerows and thickets are pretty now as the Western Serviceberry (Amelanchier alnifolia) is in bloom.  The berries are supposed to make good jam.  I don't think I've ever seen them as the birds must eat them as soon as they are ripe.  

Here's a delicate little wildflower - I think it might be Small Flowered Woodland Star (Lithophragma parviforum ). 

Our Madrone are in bloom.  Even when they aren't they are such pretty trees with lovely bark.

We'll end the walk today admiring a clump of Menzie's Larkspur (Delphinium menziesii).  This meadow has a couple of dozen plants.  They are small, but lovely.  

6 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

The orchid is so delicate looking and the larkspur is so intense - lovely blooms today.

Giovanna said...

Yeah, it's scary how quickly the year is passing... Lovely flowers!

Deborah Schander said...

That may be my favorite little duck ever now.

Barb said...

Thank you for the delightful walk. You are helping me to recognize some of our native flowers.

Pam in IL said...

Beautiful walk through the flowers today. April's Daisy is coming along nicely. I've yet to start this series because I'm still looking for fabric.

Anna van Schurman said...

I see you've started adding the Latin names of plants. It's the only way my British MIL and I can speak the same language when it comes to the garden. ;)