Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Weekly Walk - Part 2

The weather is better today, so let's continue our walk.

There are still raindrops on the blades of grass as we stroll along.

Here's a nice stand of Lady Fern (Athyrium filix-femina) growing near a seep.

Even if I'm unsure of a plant's identity, that does not detract from it being a pleasant sight. 
The wild Nootka Roses (Rosa Nutkana) are blooming now. 

Here's a close up look.

The roses are joined by our native columbine.  The Red Columbine (Aquilegia formosa).

The Indian Plum or Osoberry (Oemleria cerasiformis ) is the first shrub to bloom (way back in March).  It thus follows that it is also the first to set fruit! 

Though our wild Cherry is not far behind...

...nor is the Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium).  I must come back in the fall - the berries will be a wonderful purple color. 

I found a sunny meadow full of Scotch Broom and Large-Leaved Lupin (Lupinus polyphyllus).

I think I could happily stare at this photo for hours.

The Western Trump Honeysuckle (Lonicera ciliosa) thrives in the shade of the forest and provides a shocking jolt of color. A Hummingbird happily worked the blossoms though I was not able to get a photograph.

Here's our reward for looking down.  A raindrop covered spiderweb.
Each year we have a few more of the perfectly named Elegant Cat's Ear (Calochortus elegans). 

The inside of the flower is every bit as fuzzy as a cat's ear!

5 comments:

Pam in IL said...

Lovely walk -- even with the spider web and raindrops. Hope you had a nice long rain.

The Columbine are one of my favorites.

cucki said...

Sweet walk..I love it x

Cath said...

Think I might have solved one of your mysteries. The forget me not like flower could be a plant called Alkanet . I saw a pic on another blog and it looks very much like it . The blog is bunnymummy-jacquie.blogspot.co.uk if you want ot have a look .X

Barb said...

A wonderful walk. That cat's ear is so pretty and unusual!

Carol said...

Another wonderful walk, Beth! I've never seen (or even heard of) a Cat's Ear--how sweet :)