Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Wednesday's Watery Walk

Finally!

Three weeks later than usual, the seasonal creeks are once again flowing.

It's good to hear the rushing water and see the moving water. 

And this watery, wet time of year is when Licorice Ferns come into being.
Baby ferns.

A more advance cluster.

There are still a few bits of autumn color.

And here's the Big Creek.

It too is roaring along.

The stands of Osier Dogwood are leaf-free.  The bright stems are the stars of the show.

And here's a bit more color before we head back inside.

1 comment:

Joni said...

Yay for rains! I say this knowing that my overflow rain chain is filling the rain barrel at 40 gallons an hour right now. The overflow from the barns and shops have filled the little creek that feeds a 20 acre long slough that eventually goes into a large creek and a huge slough/refuge. Our local beavers have completely cleared the oak branches from the large oak that fell a few months ago. They have saved me many days of clean up. Their progress is monitored by the Dept of Ag and Fish and Wildlife via trail cams.

My neighbor made me a feeding station that is 3 feet by 5 feet and is supported by 4 4x4 posts. The roof over hangs by 7 inches on each side and the feed station is in the middle of it, staying dry. He made me a funnel to easily fill it.

The hummers are staying under the covered patio during daylight hours. I purchased a tear drop pine needle basket from a local Indian tribe and I believe 1 is staying in it. I need to set up a night vision trail cam to watch it.