Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Ursa Wednesday

So Monday afternoon the bear cub came by and ate out of a couple of tray feeders.

 

Around 7:00pm the same day, he came back.

And as I'd long feared, showed interest in my row of tube feeders.

He was careful and did not remove or damage the feeders.

But this is not a good situation...

...for me or for the bear.

I don't want him learning to associate bird feeders with easy food.

Or to become used to people.

So I'm going to try something new.

I tore up some old towels into strips.

I soaking them in Pine Sol. The strong scent is supposed to help deter bears.  I have a spray bottle and I'll spray them frequently to 'refresh' them and we'll see how that goes.


3 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

The bear cub sure is cute, but I wouldn't want him messing with the feeders either. I hope the Pine Sol trick works, Beth. I know you don't want to have to take your feeders down during the day.

Darlene S said...

I hope your trick works for deterring the bear. Sounds good to me. I'll certainly give it a try to see if it has any effect on raccoons. Thank you for sharing.

Barb said...

Wow Beth! That can really be a problem for you and the bear. I hope the pine sol works. Let me know as we have bears in this neighborhood too.