Thursday, July 30, 2020

Swallow Families

Design - "13 Stars"
Designer - Subrosa
Fabric - 28 count Lakeside Basketweave linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 1 July 2017
Completed - 15 July 2017

Every day I expect the occupants of this Violet-green Swallow house to fly the coop.

I check morning and evening and still the two baby birds are staying put.

They've got a good thing going and they know it!

The pair of Barn Swallows are actively nesting.  The female is spending most of her time on the nest.

I was delighted to hear and then see a family of Purple Martins.

For the past 5 years or so, a family comes by for a couple of weeks after their youngsters have fledged.

They hang out atop some of our tallest snags and thus are a challenge to photograph with any clarity.

I enjoy watching them fly and listening to their gurgling chatter.

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

I love that Thirteen Stars piece you featured, Beth. Yay on the Purple Martin sighting!

Barb said...

What a pretty stitched piece. I go to a nearby dock and watch lots of purple martins. They are fun birds to watch!