Thursday, July 13, 2023

So Long Fair Well

Design - "Pop" (freebie)
Designer - Lizzie Kate
Fabric - 32 count unknown red linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 5 July 2014
Completed - 5 July 2014


I ended up with four active Violet-green Swallow nests.

When I took these photos on 7/7 all the boxes had bird peaking out.
Box 1

Box #2 - see the bits of grass poking out? 

Watching

Box #3

Some years the young birds have fallen out before they could fly.
This year four three or four days I had a Steller's Jay trying to get at the young swallows.

Box #4
The adult swallows mobbed the jay, and yelled and clapped my hands to run off the bird.
Then it ended - thanks goodness!  

Look at that face!

Back to Box #1
On Monday 7/10/23 while I was at work, all four nesting boxes fledged.

I was sorry to have missed it.  It's a very noisy and exciting process as the adult birds fly close by to encourage the young ones to fly.  They then usually perch on the eves for a while before taking off on longer flights.  So now it is much quieter - no peeping /cheeping from the boxes and no adults birds talking amongst themselves.  Just a couple of birds flying quietly up high,  
Another year ended.

1 comment:

Robin in Virginia said...

Pop looks great on the red fabric! Hope the fledged birds thrive and survive! I am playing catch up today since I returned Mom home earlier.