Monday, July 31, 2023

Bird Babies - Part 3

 

Design - "Liberty" (kit)
Designer - Lizzie Kate
Fabric - 32 count Light Mocha Belfast
Fibers - GAST & DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 4 July 2015
Completed - 8 July 2015

In my typical scattered stitching fashion, I managed to stitch the border using the color that was meant for the stars.  So rather than rip out the entire border, I chose to stitch the stars using GAST "Gold Leaf".  I guess you could say I personalized this design!  Thanks again to Chris for passing on the chart to me.

And now the woodpeckers!
Everyone seems to be later this year than in past years.

This is an adult male Hairy Woodpecker.
Not the spot of red on the back of the head.

This is a newly fledged Hairy Woodpecker.

The red is on top of the head and both young males and females have this marking.

Adult on the top, juvenile on the bottom.

I did not manage to get photos of feeding, but the young bird was successful in getting the adult to eed it.

Adult male Flicker.

And here's a series of an adult feeding a young Flicker.

In this case, young male Flickers have a pale mustache.

So I think the young bird is a female.

It seems like I see adult males feeding newly fledged birds far more frequently than adult females.


1 comment:

Robin in Virginia said...

Love your patriotic finish, Beth! I really like your 'mistake' with the border color because I really like the Gold Leaf for the star. Have a good Monday!