Thursday, October 6, 2016

Fabulous Feathers

So here's my first owl project.  I'm going to stitch the "Whooo Gives a Hoot?" with the full moon.  The fabric is called "Haunted" by Picture This Plus and it is luscious!

Here's something else that is luscious. 

My small collection of bird feathers.

A mix of Flicker, Steller's Jay, Woodpecker, and Quail feathers.

These are all big feathers - Crow, Turkey Vulture, wild Turkey, and I'm not sure what. 

I have a nice assortment of Steller's Jay feathers, but not even one Scrub Jay feather.  I think my favorite is the small one in the center with the stripes.

Here's a photo of a Steller's Jay as a reminder what the bird looks like. He's hanging out with a Hairy Woodpecker.

These are Blue Jay feathers and are a gift from Frances of A Symphony of Stitches. She knows that I am a Birder with a capital "B" and sent me a wonderful note, a photo of 'her' Blue Jay and this small collection of feathers.  Frances has a great blog - take a moment to check it out and admire her Halloween Tree.  

Feathers are amazing, especially iridescent ones.
Here's my male Anna's Hummingbird turned to the left.

Now he looks at me straight on and the feather's catch the light and come alive!

6 comments:

judyblount said...

I enjoy your bird pictures so much! I live on the east coast and I love seeing birds different than the ones at my feeders. Every time I find a feather in the yard I feel like it is a little gift and I add it to my collection. Your blog is one of my favorites.

Pull the other thread said...

Wonderful new owl project, the fabric is gorgeous. Love all you bird feathers and photos.

MaryO said...

I thought I was the only one who picked up and saved bird feathers! And what a clever way to display them! My saved feathers aren't as colorful as yours - mostly crow, jay and dove (I think they're dove anyway) feathers so it's a treat to see your collection.

Great cross stitch too! Owls are so my favorite!

MaryO1230
San Pedro, CA

Vickie said...

My son has saved different feathers his whole life. Now, I realize I may seem like a weirdo, but, do you need to worry about mites or stuff? I always have. Do you "do" anything to the feathers?

Barb said...

What a great collection of bird feathers! Very interesting. I think your new stitch is an excellent choice.

Maggee said...

You are stitching the one I added to my list! ha! It is going to be cute! Lovely feather collection... such a variety of colors... :)