Monday, July 7, 2014

Pop Goes July!

Design - "Pop" (freebie)
Designer - Lizzie Kate
Fabric - 32 count unknown red linen
Fibers - DMC - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 5 July 2014
Completed - 5 July 2014

The month of July starts off with a BANG with Canada Day on the 1st and the explosive festivities continue on the 4th with US Independence Day. It is fitting then that my first stitch of the month is titled "Pop!".

I spent the past few days dog and cat sitting for my brother's family.

This is Sweetie. 
She had a rough start in the world. My oldest nephew found her - a small kitten battered and bleeding. The vet thought she might have been mauled by a dog.  She has some permanent nerve damage and bobbles her head as she looks around and from side to side.  She is otherwise a truly beautiful cat - and a lucky one too, as she is much loved her Forever Family.

Even in the city I was able to watch birds...

and critters!

I saw lots of swallows, and finches, and towhees, and sparrows, and crows.

And there were flocks of Bushtits everywhere.

Walking the dog early morning and late evening proved to be a good time to bird watch - and Tucker certainly helped me look out for squirrels!

Back at home we have deer coming by.


And often have 3 or 4 bunnies in the backyard. 


Some of them wait for me in the morning near the Big Bird Feeder for thir sunflower handout.


The chipmunks also are there to greet me.

This Anna's Hummingbird has a pollen-dusted bill. 


With hot weather more and more plants are coming into bloom.

That makes the hummers happy too!

One year ago today Mom and I travelled north to Edinburgh, Scotland. 

9 comments:

Susan said...

Cute finish. It is amazing how well Nature fills in all the niches even in the city isn't it? Sweetie looks to be a real sweetie - she looks like a very easy cat to love. Love the hummingbird photos. We have, as best as I can count, four or five hummingbird "pairs" (all ruby throated) coming into the feeders. They seem to be much more aggressive this year than in the past, even with an additional feeder out this year.

Melissa said...

Sweetie is a very pretty cat. I'm glad she was rescued by her forever family.

Cute finish and did I say the July blog header is wonderful?

The other day in the garden as I was working, I heard a funny hum and looked up to see a hummingbird buzzing around, then it came so close to me (to some flowers) I couldn't believe it. Then it was gone. I think it was an Anna. What a memorable experience.

Carol said...

Sweetie is adorable, Beth--I'm sure she is thrilled to have found a loving new home...

Very cute finish, too! And wonderful hummer action photos!

Wanda said...

Beth, what a feast for the eyes! Sweetie is gorgeous! Your ornament is so cute!
I actually got brave enough to let the chippies eat out of my hand and was surprised at how gentle they are.

Pam in IL said...

Cute little finish! All your photos are great and I especially like the squirrel posing for you!

Barb said...

Sweetie is so pretty! You are so nice to be cat sitting for your family. I thought maybe our lack of hummers was due to so many flowers. I think they have a cafeteria to choose from right now.

Margaret said...

You are so sweet to house sit and animal sit for your brother. Beautiful cat -- glad she has a good forever home. Fun to see what birds you saw in the city.

Andrea said...

Pop is a great finish. Sweetie looks a very placid, sweet cat and so pretty.

Melanie said...

Awww. Poor Sweetie. I know she probably isn't aware of her limitations (I don't personally think cats can remember when they were sound) but that just makes things sadder for me in a way. Sigh. Sounds like she is well loved though. She is a beauty.