Wednesday, July 30, 2014

July Stitch July Walk


Design - "America"
Designer - Heart in Hand
Fabric - 32 count raw Belfast linen
Fibers - WDW - 2 strands over 2 threads
Started - 28 July 2014
Completed - 29 July 2014

Once again I used "Linen" instead of "Beige". I'm really pleased with how this little stitch turned out. I like the lettering and simplicity of the design.   

It's going to be hot again today, so we'll take our walk soon after the sun rises. 


At the end of July most of the wildflowers have bloomed at set seed. 

The Goldfinches are feasting on the thistle seed.
They are some of the latest birds to nest as they need the ripe seeds for 'baby food'.

I think children must be some of the best weed seed distributors on the planet. When I was a young girl I used to strip the seeds of this weed and
use it as 'pretend food' serving it in small bowls to my dolls.  

The glossy white Baneberries (Actaea rubra)are ripe now.

Hot days are good basking days for the Western Pond Turtles.


It looks like someone has eaten most of the ripe Thimbleberries.

Faded and well past its prime, the Ocean Spray is still a thing of beauty.

I'll bet a Jay - Steller or Scrub - extracted the Hazelnuts from these husks. 

A perfect day for a cool dip in a spring wouldn't you say?

Even weedy plants such as Teasel can provide necessary food for pollinators like this Painted Lady butterfly. 

One year ago today Mom and I visited Scampston Hall in Yorkshire.

7 comments:

Vickie said...

Those baneberries are just beautiful.

Carol said...

You're really in the patriotic mode this month, Beth--another great finish! And I always love seeing your photos of the sun-bathing turtles :)

Melody said...

What great pictures! I like your patriotic finish as well. I am ready to have mine done as well, but it's not going to be before the end of July.... :)

Barb said...

Wonderful pictures of nature. I love the frogs and the butterfly. I think the things that have gone to seed have their own kind of beauty.

Margaret said...

Love seeing all of your nature pics. The teasel and butterfly are my faves. I just saw a pic of a machine that uses real teasels in its mechanism. So cool!

Maggee said...

Yes, I do recall stripping some seeds off some tall plants, tho whatever they were escapes me! The turtle sure has a thick tail...never noticed that before! Trying to guess the header theme... Hugs!

Andrea said...

Great finish. I'm laughing at that turtle right now!