Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Stitching for Summer, Gardening for Winter

In the Stitching World I'm still working on Chessie's "Quaker Bee Sampler" - a summer-themed stitch.

In the Gardening World I've readied my plants for Winter. 

I began working at "Winterizing" the Front Porch and Back Patio last Monday. 
I've worked 2-3 hours each morning.  I've been lucky as the weather has been comfortable and mild.
I moved my Salvias and Agastaches to a protected nook...

I said Good-bye to my lovely (tender) annual Coleus plants. 

Monday I put in 4 1/2 hours and worked with my 35 Fuchsias.
I gave them a drink of water and cut them back hard.

Some of the Fuchsias are "Hardy", and can spend the Winter on the Back Patio.  Many of them though are "Tender" and will reside in my mini-greenhouse.  

The Front Porch is empty of most of the 186 pots.

I've left the Hostas to spend the Winter under my picnic benches.
They will die back in the next couple of days as we are expecting sub-freezing temperatures.  I'll then cut off their yellowed leaves, and they will hibernate until April or so.

I've set out a few Pansies and Violas for Winter color.  I'll probably buy a few more, and maybe some Ornamental Kale or Cyclamen.

Some of the semi-tender plants are under the eaves on the Back Patio.  These Agaves and Sedums will tolerate temperatures down to 25F.  On the West-facing Patio they will also benefit from any Winter sunshine that might appear. 

On a clear, but cold windy day, Parvati knows to stay in a Back Patio nook for warmth.

My little greenhouse is full to the brim.  Last winter was my first experience with it, and it came through with flying colors.  Though it is unheated, the plants inside never froze, even with temperatures down to 15F.

It's the repository for tender Fuchsias...

...and Begonias and Echeverias.
  
Now I need to put away my pots.
But that's for another day! 

5 comments:

butterfly said...

My you have been busy in the garden.

We done most of ours a few weeks ago now and have planted out for Winter and Spring.

Your garden as looked so lovely all year.

Nice stitching.

Penny said...

It sounds like you have a beautiful home with all of the plants and flowers around. It must look spectacular, well worth the all of the hard work.

Cindy said...

Looks like you have been busy. I have often wondered how those greenhouses work. I love your blog header. Do you have a list of the items that you have stitched and included in it. Thanks so much.

cynthia.earnhardt@gmail.com

Mouse said...

ohhh wow you have been a busy gardener / stitcher ..lol ... I've got an indoor coleus plant on my window bottom in my front room :) love your array of pots too :) love mouse xxxx

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I feel as though it's no time since you put all your pots out - where does time go?