Thursday, June 9, 2011

Road Trip - Cottage Grove


I worked on "Cluck Cluck" a bit last night.  The body of the chicken is done and now I'm stitching her tail.

On Sunday, my sister and I took a short road-trip south to the town of Cottage Grove, OR.

Cottage Grove has a population of around 9,500 and a vibrant "Old Town" District.  We drove down specifically to visit The Bookmine. The Bookmine carries Log House Plants and my sister wanted to purchase some Morning Glories.  I was just along for the ride, but I managed to fill a flat with plant purchases!  If you look at the list of plants Log House carries, you'll see why that was easy to do!
   
Cottage Grove is famous for its murals and covered bridges.

This mural depicts Opal Whiteley, an American nature writer and diarist.  Her life story and works are disputed to this day.  You can read more about her in this Wikipedia article.

Another nifty mural.

In 1926 Buster Keaton filmed his iconic movie "The General" in Cottage Grove.  You can see the mural of "The General" and some of the covered bridges on this blog

I was pleased to see that Cottage Grove had at some time been the recipient of a Yarn Bombing - long enough ago that I could no longer read the tag. 

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Chicken is progressing nicely! Love the pictures of the town and murals!