Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chickens and Fish

I've been saving this finish...


Design - "Hen & Chicks" 
Chart - "Bunnies & Chicks" #121 
Designer - Prairie Schooler
Fabric - 32 count Lambswool linen
Fibers - DMC
Started - 23 March 2011
Completed - 8 April 2011


If I had the skills (and the time) it would be fun to finish this up as an ornament and have a Spring Ornament tree.

For Tuesday Garden Party I thought I'd share some Oregon Seasonal Foods.


My cousin, a passionate fisherman,  gifted me with a large side of Steelhead.  I am a terrible Oregonian, as I'd never eaten Steelhead until just last summer.  Nor did I know anything about them. 
Since then, I've discovered that Steelhead are sea run Rainbow Trout who return to fresh water to spawn after 2-3 years at sea.  They are sometimes called salmon trout.  I've also discovered that I love the taste of Steelhead! 


I cleaned the fish, sprinkled garlic salt and pepper, packed some brown sugar on top with a dollop of butter, and baked in the oven.  Steelhead is the same color as salmon, but has a much milder taste.  Very yummy!


And in keeping with eating locally, I had Tillamook Mudslide ice cream for dessert - Chocolate ice cream with fudge pieces and a thick fudge ripple.  Again yummy! 

2 comments:

Devon said...

Oh I might have to go and dig my pattern out that turned out so cute,,and wow I didnt know about steelhead either my husband would love it as it loves salmon..thanks for sharing..

carol fun said...

Cute finish! I love your dedication to eating local - Tillamook Mudslide show real commitment! LOL!