Friday, February 11, 2011

Progress on a Frosty Friday 2


"2006 Collector's Heart" is moving right along.  I won't bore you with the "frogging" details, but the outline of the heart and the right side of the border have both required "Do-Overs".  All is good now. 

I have started "Sweet Winter" - over one - and I am having issues.
Not with the over one stitching, but with the lack of color contrast between the fiber and the fabric.  The letters of the alphabet are melting right into the fabric color, and they are very hard to discern. I'm not sure what to do. 
I think I'll take it outside and look at it with natural light, maybe that will help me to decide.  

It's been cold and frosty the last couple of mornings.

The Steller's Jays yell at me - "Sunflower Seeds - Now!"

I thought this was a weird phenomena - the water in the birdbath froze solid - normal - but look at the very weird lump of frozen water on the back right - I've never seen anything like that before. 

The teasel and blackberries were rimed with a heavy frost.

The Towhee provided a welcome spot of color.

8 comments:

Ruth said...

Hi birdies. It's always a pleasure to see you.

Son't you just hate it when you're fabric and treads are so close.... drives me nuts. But oh the anticipation of the agony of puling out over-1 stitches that you can't discern from the fabric. Here's hoping your natural light test keeps you fram having to do something drastic.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

The frogs have been inhabiting my house for quite a while - I hope yours didn't stay too long. The heart looks great and the birds - so pretty!

Cath said...

Gorgeous bird pics again.
Your heart is looking lovely . hope you can sort the new piece out . X

Ann at Beadlework. said...

I love your bird photos, what a lovely mix of birds you see. I wish we had such a variety in our garden over here in Scotland.

Marcy said...

Great bird pics! Your heart is lookin' good.

Sue said...

Nice progress on your heart.

Lois said...

Love your heart. How far have you got with the alphabet on the BN piece? Is it froggable (as in you haven't done too many letters?) Frogging over one is such a pain but if you're in any doubt I'd stop rather than keep going in the hope that it will look okay in the end.

Robin said...

Your Collector's Heart is stitching up nicely...such pretty colors! Hate those darn frogs...they stopped by my house recently and the thread knot fairies recently arrived too. Arrgh!

My two cents about Sweet Winter is to save yourself heartache and frustration and (yes, I am going to say it) frog what you have stitched of the alphabet and switch to a darker shade. I've been down a similar road and opted to continue and I regret it everytime I look at the finished piece. I've learned the hard way that over one stitching doesn't lend itself to subtle color differences, the stitches just get lost. Good luck with your decision.